Our Blessings

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Belly Quakes

I guess our little Sage is a bit ahead in her development. I got the biggest kick, pun intended, from this email Dustin received for expectant Dads.

Here's a word you didn't know: "Quickening." But your partner knows it — and she's been waiting for it. "Quickening" and "fetal movement" are obstetrical-speak for baby kicks, as those little arms and legs get big enough to be felt from within. Sometime between the 18th and 22nd weeks, she'll feel what she may describe as butterflies in her stomach — but oh, baby, it's no butterfly she's feeling. It's the first physical proof positive (besides her bulging belly) that there's a new life inside her. When will you get your kicks? Those movements won't be strong enough to be felt from the outside for another few weeks — but it'll be worth the wait.

OK, I started feeling her "flutters" around 14 weeks and she started kicking at 16. Dustin definitely felt her from the outside at about 18 weeks. What cracked me up was the "butterfly" comment. Butterflies my butt! While other people are feeling butterflies, I think I have a seagull flapping around in here! She's way-lays me with kicks that take me by surprise! In the last couple of days, I've been able to lay on my side of back and you can literally see her foot rise about 1/2 - 1 inch out from my stomach. It looks like something from the Alien movies! She kicks HARD! It really isn't Dustin's favorite thing to wait with his hand on my stomach to catch a kick, so now he can just watch the quake! I think our little Sage is having fun and loves her daily acrobats!

No comments: